Sunday, May 17, 2009

Growing up

Isn't it funny how life doesn't wait for you to process before it bestows it's next gift upon you? This week, seemingly the moment I returned from Hawaii, Sophia became a Big Kid. She graduated from preschool, and enjoy the videos from that, and learned how to swing, ALL BY HERSELF! That is Huge in the world of kids. I've been waiting for that day since the moment she was old enough to sit in a swing. It's been very tricky to swing 3 kids at once, what with only having two hands. She's suddenly out of naps compeltely, and getting ready for she and Maia's dance recital coming up. Also, she is now demanding to have her own stall at public restrooms, complete with locked door. This week also brought about a tour at kindergarten, which she is already beginning to worry about. She thinks she'll never see me again, or at least just at much as she sees daddy, so she's very sad about that. She's already telling Maia that she will have to be brave without her. Celia is suddenly talking as well, with things like "doggy, Woooooozy, uh oh, no, drink, milk, and mahhhhhhhh" Wow. Despite the recent tragedy, which I am still reeling over, I am acutely aware at how blessed I am to have such an amazing life. My kids are amazing, so smart and funny, my husband is a wonderful and kind rock, the rest of my extended family is beyond supportive and loving, and my friends are out of this world. Seeing something like Sophia pumping her legs on the swing is so much more moving when it's your own kid, and you see how that one act is the culmination of her whole life and growing up experience. So it's a big deal, seeing the helpless baby be flying through the air with such grace and ease. Beautiful as the wind. Walking across the stage in her cap and gown, like I remember doing 6 short years ago at college. Soon enough, she'll be walking that same stage with a real diploma in her hand, followed in a flash by the other two. Time is so precious, and I'm glad I am able to be in this moment, appricating it, and sharing it with all of you!

No comments: