Friday, September 18, 2009

My favorite conversation about death

As you all know, my grandmother has cancer. We initally thought it was stage 2, but now know it is stage 4 and we have a very limited time left with her. As it has progressed, my girls are becoming more aware of it. Since my dad died in April, Sophia has developed what I consider a very healthy view on death. We are not religous, but I am very very spiritual, and have taught the girls that we have souls and that when our bodies die, they go back home to where they were before we were born. So on Wednesday, Maia asked what I was going to do while she was in school. I told her I was visiting my grandma, and here is the best conversation ever about death:

Maia: Why is she dying?
Me: Because she has cancer, and it is something that grows inside a body, and eventually the body stops working.
Maia: Then her soul flys away!
Me: Exactly.
Maia: *pause* Momma, how does a soul fly?
Me: I don't know (really reaching for something here) probally like a hot air balloon.
Maia: *another pause* No, I don't think so. I think they fly like witches. You know, with brooms.


She proceeds to eat her breakfast and that settled it in her little 3 year old mind. I love this age. It's so perfect, pure and simple! Her acceptance, and Sophia's as well, have given me such a renewed perspective on this very natural order in life, and such appriciation for what we have right now. That conversation will be with me for ever, until it's time for me to fly away on my broomstick.

No comments: